As we all know, Gmail remains the keystone of Google’s online presence. If you frequently use Google then you must have created a Gmail account which is a free email service provided by Google. Gmail comes 15GB storage space for all your important emails, documents, photos and files. As a result of this, every Google user is required to set a Gmail login Password when you create a Gmail account. The Gmail login password is a key to access your Google account. In other words, if you can’t remember your Gmail login password you won’t be able to access your Gmail.
Furthermore, the Gmail login password is meant to secure your account. This is why Google will always ask you to setup a strong login password for your Gmail. The password not less than eight characters thereby making it difficult for others to guess. So, you are expected to create a strong Gmail login password so as to prevent illegal and unauthorized access into your account. A strong Gmail password helps you;
- Protect your emails, files, and other content.
- Keep your personal info safe.
- Prevent someone else from getting in to your account.
Create your password using eight characters or more. It can be any combination of letters, numbers and symbols. Accents and accented characters are not supported. You can’t use a password that is particularly weak. For instance, ‘’password123’’. A password you’ve used before on your Gmail or Google account and a password that starts or ends with a blank space.
Guidelines for Creating a Strong Gmail Password
A strong password can be unforgettable to you but nearly impossible for someone else to guess. Learn what makes a good password, then follow these tips to create your own.
- Make your Gmail login Password unique: Use a different password for each of your important accounts, like your email and online banking.
- Make your Gmail login Password longer and more memorable: Long passwords are stronger, so make your password at least 8 characters long. You can use a lyric from a song or poem, a meaningful quote from a movie or speech, a series of words that are meaning to you, a passage from the book or an abbreviation. Avoid choosing password that could be guessed by people who know you.
- Avoid personal info and common words: Avoid creating passwords from info that others might know or could easily find out. For example, the name of your street, your nickname or initials, important birthdays or years, numbers from your address, keyboard pattern like ‘’asdfgh’’ or ‘’qwerty’’.
How to Change your Gmail Login Password
Meanwhile, you can change your Gmail login password for security reasons or if you feel like changing it. However, for security reasons, it is inadvisable to use the same password for all your accounts. Indeed, you should regularly change your passwords and make sure they remain secure. This is the only way to keep your accounts protected from being hacked.
- Login to your Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon on the upper-right corner and choose ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click ‘Accounts and imports’ from the options.
- From the change account settings, click on ‘Change Password’.
- A new page will open to confirm it’s you. Enter your current password and click ‘Next’.
- Then, follow the requirements [at least eight characters] and enter your new password. Confirm the new password by re-entering the same.
Your Gmail login password has been changed. Now, ‘Get started’.
How to Reset your Gmail Password
Also, you can reset your Google account password if you forget it. Your Gmail login password is used to access many Google services like Google play, YouTube, Google Docs and many more. Hence, to reset your password, follow the steps below.
- Launch a browser on your device.
- Go to www.gmail.com.
- On the login page, enter the email address you are trying to access and click ‘Forgot Password’.
- You will be prompted to enter the last password you remember using with this Google Account. Enter the password then click Next. Don’t worry if you get it wrong, it won’t lock your account.
- Request a verification code to your linked mobile phone number. This code will be sent to you via a text message sent or a call to the number linked to your account depending on which one you select.
- Enter the code into the verification code field.
- Gmail will now ask you to select a new password. Try to choose something you won’t easily forget, or else write it down somewhere safe so you can look at it next time and avoid this hassle.
Note: if you change or reset your password, you will be signed out everywhere except devices you used to verify that it’s you when you sign in and some devices with third-party apps that you’ve given account access.